23.3.07


Forgotten.


I was born in Portugal in the 1960’s. Sindy was a queen back then. Sindy, the doll now almost forgotten by Portuguese children and their parents - who once played with her. Like some of the English collectors, I also asked around, in 1998, if they had stopped producing Sindy... and the answer from the Portuguese department of the Hasbro toy industry was then a plain "yes". In that same day I recalled another afternoon, some 30 years ago. Noticing that Sindy had vanished from our usual toy store, my mother called the Portuguese distributor of Pedigree and asked them the same. The answer had been "of course not!" Sindy was missing in some stores because they could not import ali those thousands of dolls as fast as they were selling them. That was the same year I got a Miss Beautiful doll for my birthday: 1968.

No comments: