23.3.07

The right to be different. European.



Vintage Sindy’s are worthless over here in Lisbon: nobody collects modern dolls. Later Sindy’s are not cherished by new buyers: every little girl wants yet another Barbie or, better still, another virtual game.

And that makes me think: why are we, European consumers, so influenced by foreign marks and markets? Why have we, European mothers, abandoned the doll that was once one of our most beloved friends? Why didn't we encourage our daughters to love Sindy like we loved her? Sindy has been constantly in danger of being discontinued because she can't sell as much as multinational fashion dolls? - I don't know. But I do know that when we can find the reason for this we will also be able to explain why so many Portuguese factories are closing. Why so many good and classic European products have disappeared from our stores and from our habits.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
My name is Zoe Smith, I'm canadian.
Please, can you talck a litlle more about Vicki?
Many thank's!

sindydoll said...

Hi Zoe! I'll be posting a pic of Vicki today. Thanks for visiting my blog. Nina