23.3.07




Paul and I




The firm representing Pedigree in Lisbon only imported one kind of Paul doll: the rooted-hair one. My first and only Paul was, thus, one of this version. When, in 1968, Sindy's face changed, her hair became longer and she was given a new body, I peremptorily told my mother I would only have good marks at school if I was granted this one wish: a new Sindy, Iike the ones in the downtown shop windows. I got one for my birthday. Paul never seemed to notice the changes his girlfriend had been through.
I, myself, had to wait for long, anxious days before our usual toy shop would guarantee they would have a new shipment of Sindy dolls in time for my eighth birthday party. So they did. I remember entering Kermesse de Paris (this beautiful toy store - Lisbon's oldest and most famous - doesn't exist anymore) and there she was: New Look Sindy with her long blue velvet dress and her crown. I chose the blonde one because my former Sindy had brown hair. That was one of the happiest days of my childhood.

No comments: