23.3.07


SINDY, 1965



Sindy was introduced in Portugal in 1965. Most of the dolls for sale over here were brunettes, their legs were still non-bendable and the back of the head was marked “Made In England". My own first Sindy was auburn-haired and she was dressed In a different version of the Weekenders outfit: same pants and shoes but a plain red blouse that looked Iike Paul' s polo neck sweater, only with short sleeves and larger neck. In
1967, Sindy's sales doubled when an advert started being aired by the Portuguese television (only one T.V. channel in those days). The ad showed two girls playing with Sindy and the words for the music went: "A boneca que tu adorarĂ¡s vestir!" ("The doll you’ll love to dress!”).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there. It's intereting Sindy was only out in Portugal in 1965, Back here in England, we had our first Sindy's in '63. Did yours have any marks as to where they were made (in UK or in Hong Kong)?
Nice site. Lots of new pics I had never seen before.

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog is so cool!Whats your favourite Sindy?
My favourite Sindy is the Sindy of 60.
I'm from Australia, and my husband is from Germany.
As I saying, I love your blog Nina!

I be with you!Force!